ROAD TAX  REDUCTION                  

New Road tax rates as of 1st April 2017

The new rates will only be affecting vehicles registered on or after 1st of April 2017.

When the new road tax rates come into force the 50% reduction will still be available. For people who receive the standard rate mobility component of PIP. You will still claim it in the same way as explained below.

You will also be entitled to a 50% reduction on the additional charge added for vehicles of a list price above £40,000 when first registered. For example, a customer purchases a new petrol car with a list price of £41,000 at first registration – they will be entitled to a 50% reduction on the total road tax, including the additional rate.  If they keep the car or purchase it second hand, from the car’s second licence they would pay 50% of the £450 per year (£140 standard rate plus £310 additional rate) for a period of 5 years – i.e. £225 per year.

Who can claim the 50% reduction

To claim the 50% reduction the vehicle must be :
  • Registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.
  • It must be only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. That means the vehicle can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

You can only have one vehicle tax exemption or reduction at any one time.

You can apply for the 50% reduction  if you get the:

How to claim

If you are entitled to the 50% discount, then you can ONLY obtain this by sending the appropriate paperwork to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BF

You must include the following with your application:

  • An official letter or statement from the DWP confirming that you are in receipt of an award, the dates of the award, name and address

       Please do not send the DVLA any of the personal medical information contained in the             letter.

  • the vehicle registration certificate (V5C)
  • a V10 form
  • an original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
  • a cheque or payable order (made out to ‘DVLA, Swansea’) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle

Don’t include a copy of your PIP adjudication with your application.

If you’ve just bought the vehicle and it’s not registered in your name yet, you’ll need to download and complete a V62 form and include the V5C/2 new keeper supplement with your application.

Vehicles that receive the 50% reduction are in the standard taxation class for that vehicle. They will not be in the Disabled tax class like vehicles that receive the 100% exemption.


Contact the DVLA by:

To find the address of your nearest Post Office that issues vehicle tax