How to obtain free car tax (Vehicle Excise Duty) in a disabled class

Only for people on the higher rate of DLA, WPMS, Enhanced mobility pip (100% exemption) OR standard mobility pip (50%) Exemption.

The way you get your free vehicle tax has changed

This page tells you how to tax your vehicle in the free disabled class. You can only tax one vehicle in disabled class at any one time.

About the vehicle

The vehicle must be used only for your needs – the person with the illness or disability.  The vehicle must be used only for your direct benefit

Different rules apply to the Blue Badge Scheme.  Find out more on Blue Badge eligibility.

Who can claim?

The exemption is only for people on Higher Rate DLA Mobility Component,War Pensioners Mobility Supplement, Enhanced Mobility PIP (100% exemption) or Standard Mobility PIP (50%) exemption.

  • The vehicle must be only used for the benefit of the person with exemption.
  • The vehicle doesn’t have to belong to the person.
  • The vehicle's registered keeper should claim the exemption.

The vehicle's registered keeper could be:

  • You – the person with the illness or disability, or
  • Someone else who uses their vehicle only for your needs

The Entitlement Certificate

You need to obtain a certificate of entitlement to DLA (or PIP) in order to apply for the exemption, this should be sent through automatically. If you don’t have one you can request one by calling:

Disability benefits helpline

Telephone: 08457 123 456

Textphone: 08457 224 433

War Pension, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency

Telephone: 0800 169 22 77

You or the registered keeper do not need to get a Certificate of Entitlement every year but you will need to use the serial number that is shown on the original certificate. Keep this number in a safe place. You or the registered keeper will need to use the serial number each year to renew in the disabled class. (If you are changing your car, or taxing it in the disabled class for the first time, you will need a new Certificate of Entitlement the first time you tax it.)

How to claim

Even if you don’t need to pay vehicle tax you still need to register for the tax exemption each year. From October 2014, you will not be issued with a paper tax disc, but it will show on the DVLA database whether or not your tax has been issued/renewed.

About three weeks before your tax  runs out you should receive a V11 form - the renewal reminder of Road Tax or SORN – from DVLA.  Use the V11 reminder to renew your vehicle tax online, by phone, or in person. (If you're taxing a particular vehicle in the disabled class for the first time you CAN'T do this online or by phone. You can only do this at a Post Office branch that issues road tax.) If you don’t have a V11 reminder, you should use your Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) instead.

You'll also need the surname, date of birth and National Insurance number of the exemption certificate holder along with the certificate serial number.

For general information about vehicle tax, contact the DVLA by:

To find the address of your local DVLA office:

To find the address of your nearest Post Office that issues vehicle tax

  • Go to the website, or
  • Phone 08457 223344 or
  • Write to: DLA Unit, Warbeck House, Warbeck Hill, Blackpool, FY2 0YE


Join Us Today

Becoming a member of Disabled Motoring UK not only entitles you to a great range of benefits, it also lends your voice to our campaigns.

Join us today to receive our monthly magazine, access to our information service and discounts on goods and services.

From £24 per year - Click here to join >